The Rock Dungeon

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rock Dungeon

The Rock Dungeon is a weekly podcast that can be found at TheRockDungeon.com, and it is your source for an entertaining and funny look at the world of the rock music scene of the past, present, and future.

5 posters

Rock Dungeon 22 "You're a godsend, a saviour." "No, I am a podcast."

Michael
    Michael

Rock Dungeon 22  "You're a godsend, a saviour." "No, I am a podcast." Empty Rock Dungeon 22 "You''re a godsend, a saviour." "No, I am a podcast."

Post  Michael Sun May 24, 2009 3:46 pm

Episode 22 watched a lot of Kung Fu with David Carradine and decided to become a buddhist rock-monk. Training in the art of hand to hand combat while listening to the Scorpions, Foreigner, and Dethklok, we await the day when we may take the guitar pick from our master's hand and leave this place, traveling the world, getting into all sorts of adventures. Join our training, as we discuss important issues to the new field of kung fu power rock, but do not cross us or abuse us, because then we would be forced to strike at you with our Tiger style technique, followed by the Praying Mantis technique, and lastly, the Poodle Hair technique. Wise kung fu rock master once say, "to master one's inner self, one must first master bate."

Get It Here
    Eric
    Eric

Rock Dungeon 22  "You're a godsend, a saviour." "No, I am a podcast." Empty Re: Rock Dungeon 22 "You're a godsend, a saviour." "No, I am a podcast."

Post  Eric Tue May 26, 2009 5:53 am

Hilarious stuff guys and for the first time ever I enjoyed each and every song you played. Next time, instead of finding new releases for me how about playing something that's more my style? I know you have some good prog in your collection Mike. Throw down some ELP or King Crimson or Yes or classic Genesis with Peter Gabriel.

Heath, about the long songs. I think one problem is you haven't heard the right ones. Or the ones you have heard aren't executed well. There is no point in a song being 10 or more minutes if it follows a simple 4 or 5 chord, verse, chorus, verse, etc. style. There should be complex time signatures and almost virtuoso playing. The songs that are that long should be truly epic in scope and have several different "suites" or "sections" to them. I look at it as almost like a classical piece with different movements. I think if you heard some of the truly epic long songs by bands like Genesis and Yes, and if you looked at it like I do (as practically classical pieces) you would appreciate the format more. They don't get boring because every 3 or so minutes it almost changes into a new song, with maybe some callback to previous movements.
    ccordova2
    ccordova2

Rock Dungeon 22  "You're a godsend, a saviour." "No, I am a podcast." Empty Re: Rock Dungeon 22 "You're a godsend, a saviour." "No, I am a podcast."

Post  ccordova2 Tue May 26, 2009 4:02 pm

Eric wrote:Hilarious stuff guys and for the first time ever I enjoyed each and every song you played. Next time, instead of finding new releases for me how about playing something that's more my style? I know you have some good prog in your collection Mike. Throw down some ELP or King Crimson or Yes or classic Genesis with Peter Gabriel.

Heath, about the long songs. I think one problem is you haven't heard the right ones. Or the ones you have heard aren't executed well. There is no point in a song being 10 or more minutes if it follows a simple 4 or 5 chord, verse, chorus, verse, etc. style. There should be complex time signatures and almost virtuoso playing. The songs that are that long should be truly epic in scope and have several different "suites" or "sections" to them. I look at it as almost like a classical piece with different movements. I think if you heard some of the truly epic long songs by bands like Genesis and Yes, and if you looked at it like I do (as practically classical pieces) you would appreciate the format more. They don't get boring because every 3 or so minutes it almost changes into a new song, with maybe some callback to previous movements.

Yes' heart of the sunrise is a great 10+ min song.. freebiiiiiiiiiird!!!
    ccordova2
    ccordova2

Post  ccordova2 Tue May 26, 2009 4:03 pm

i love that Scorpions song!

i think the donnas are close to my age.. late 20's early 30's.
    Heath
    Heath

Post  Heath Tue May 26, 2009 8:24 pm

Eric wrote:Hilarious stuff guys and for the first time ever I enjoyed each and every song you played. Next time, instead of finding new releases for me how about playing something that's more my style? I know you have some good prog in your collection Mike. Throw down some ELP or King Crimson or Yes or classic Genesis with Peter Gabriel.

Maybe, but I gotta tell you, I don't like listening to one CD for more than about 30-45 minutes. Remember, my perfect CD length is about 35 minutes. I want to get in, rock, and get out so I can rock to something else. THis is why I was so down on Metallica's new one, or all of theirs, really. I just would rather listen to 3 half hour CDs than one full super long CD. There's a lot to be said for quick and catchy. But remember, I like that slick polished sound that Mutt Lange brings. I'm a corporate rocker.
    dbm
    dbm

Post  dbm Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:28 pm

Good show, I finished listening to it a few days ago, so I can't be more specific Smile

I do remember this: Michael -- DCBS is shipping the FCBD issues this month, since FCBD was after the last Wed. of last month.

And: uh, crap... oh yeah: I don't see what the deal was with that underoath guy. It sounded like he was just saying he doesn't like Metallica, which some of us (acchem) don't.

Good music this round. And I loved Mikes excitement over the Amazon cd score.

See ya
    Heath
    Heath

Post  Heath Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:46 pm

dbm wrote:Good show, I finished listening to it a few days ago, so I can't be more specific Smile

I do remember this: Michael -- DCBS is shipping the FCBD issues this month, since FCBD was after the last Wed. of last month.

And: uh, crap... oh yeah: I don't see what the deal was with that underoath guy. It sounded like he was just saying he doesn't like Metallica, which some of us (acchem) don't.

Good music this round. And I loved Mikes excitement over the Amazon cd score.

See ya
    Yeah, the Underoath guy was just saying he didn't like Metallica, but he has a history of incendiary remarks. He's trying to rock the apple cart, which he succeeded in. Cuz I'm not the world's biggest Metallica fan either. I think Underoath dude is just trying to stir up a little PR.
    dbm
    dbm

Post  dbm Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:50 pm

Heath wrote:
    Yeah, the Underoath guy was just saying he didn't like Metallica, but he has a history of incendiary remarks. He's trying to rock the apple cart, which he succeeded in. Cuz I'm not the world's biggest Metallica fan either. I think Underoath dude is just trying to stir up a little PR.

No doubt; you guys should start talking smack against other podcasts Smile
    Heath
    Heath

Post  Heath Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:14 pm

dbm wrote:
    Heath wrote:

No doubt; you guys should start talking smack against other podcasts Smile
    But who would our competition be?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 3:04 am