The Rock Dungeon

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rock Dungeon

The Rock Dungeon is a weekly podcast that can be found at TheRockDungeon.com, and it is your source for an entertaining and funny look at the world of the rock music scene of the past, present, and future.

4 posters

Rock Dungeon 56: What The... Madison Square Garden?

Michael
    Michael

Rock Dungeon 56: What The... Madison Square Garden? Empty Rock Dungeon 56: What The... Madison Square Garden?

Post  Michael Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:01 pm

The boys are bringing the music back to the Rock Dungeon... Huh? When did it leave?... Oh... More music than ever before. Dust bunnies are moved out of the way for Mike's under the bed pick because nothing much is known about them and none of the players really did anything else... a true under the bed treasure. Greg (AllRoy) throws in his pick for greatest drinking song ever and is sent packing but he responds with a jewel among gems that causes Mike to go into a tizzy and scrounge Amazon Marketplace as the show is being recorded. Two bands that are following Mike get their day in the dungeon and their is news and releases. Unfortunately the fantastic trivia from Aaron had to be deleted because Skype was being a douche and making Aaron sound like a Martian. Get it now before your Grandmother fires up the crack pipe again. Get It Here

Music Clips:
    In This Moment - Forever
    7 Seconds - Walk Together, Rock Together
    Stedlur - Bumpin'
    AFI - God Called In Sick Today
    Skunkweed - Wasted
    Paul Gilbert - Amy Is Amazing
    Nick 13 - WTMSG
    Phantom Blue - Nothing Good
    Savatage - Back To A Reason
    Masterplan - Lost & Gone
    Red Sun Rising - Bury Me Today
    Phil Lynott & Gary Moore - Out In The Fields
    Bodine - Hard Time
    GBH - Cadillac One
    Peter Wolf - Romeo Is Dead
    Murder By Death - The Day
    Dirty Sweet - Baby Come Home
    Circa Survive - Get Out
    Portugal, The Man - Fantastic Pace
    Inner Wish - The Signs Of Our Lives
    Firewind - Breaking The Silence
    Danzig - Going Down To Die
    Wizard - Dead Hope
    Triumph - Fight The Good Fight
    Queensryche - Gonna Get Close To You
    ccordova2
    ccordova2

Rock Dungeon 56: What The... Madison Square Garden? Empty Re: Rock Dungeon 56: What The... Madison Square Garden?

Post  ccordova2 Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:20 pm

great episode! thank you for the love! i had some correction for you guys but dont remember now lol

i dig that AFI song i miss the more hardcore/screamer days of Davey Havok & the Samhain album he did was Son of Sam.. those old AFI days were what really got me into the band.

great Paul Gilbert! thank you for turning me on to a awesome musician mike!

and thanks to both of you for the Phantom Blue! i knew of Michelle Meldrum and think i had heard vaguely of her previous band. Meldrum freaking rocks! i saw them twice and both times were with Black Label! even got her and Holm and the drummer to sign my cd sleeve of their first album! Michelle was a amazing guitarist and our ears are ringing slightly less without her!

Danzig is one of my favorite artist! so im glad to hear that a new album is finally coming out!!!

and finally Queensryche is always always great! and both of the mindcrime albums have some great singer/female singer back and forth! i recommend the live mindcrime album or dvd that came out a couple years ago...

keep up the great work!!
    Crimson Pig
    Crimson Pig

Rock Dungeon 56: What The... Madison Square Garden? Empty Re: Rock Dungeon 56: What The... Madison Square Garden?

Post  Crimson Pig Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:41 pm

A great mix of tunes. Even if I don't love everything I never have a problem listening to the stuff over and over, it always flows quite well. If you would have ended the show after playing Phantom Blue, Dirty Sweet and Murder by Death I would have been happy. All three were awesome.

I'm kind of surprised by some of Wade's recent picks though, not that I don't like them but Murder by Death, Circa Survive, Portugal the Man, and I think a few others from previous shows are stuff my kids listen to. I don't know who is singing on that murder by death song but if that is what they sound like now I'm going to have to drop some money on them. The stuff I've heard by them sounds nothing like that. It is nice to have immediate access to the stuff you play on your show though.

I'm split on the Peter Wolf tune, while I thought it was a great song with great lyrics, Peter Wolf to me is J. Geils and that is a band I've never liked in the least. Although I never had a problem watching the Centerfold video.

Kudos to Allroy for the two great submissions but I hope you weren't serious about pitting me against him musically, I don't stand a chance. You have looked at the Youtube finds link haven't you?

Looking forward to getting back to the 60's next week.
    Michael
    Michael

Post  Michael Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:02 pm

ccordova2 wrote:great episode! thank you for the love! i had some correction for you guys but dont remember now lol

i dig that AFI song i miss the more hardcore/screamer days of Davey Havok & the Samhain album he did was Son of Sam.. those old AFI days were what really got me into the band.

and thanks to both of you for the Phantom Blue! i knew of Michelle Meldrum and think i had heard vaguely of her previous band. Meldrum freaking rocks! i saw them twice and both times were with Black Label! even got her and Holm and the drummer to sign my cd sleeve of their first album! Michelle was a amazing guitarist and our ears are ringing slightly less without her!

Danzig is one of my favorite artist! so im glad to hear that a new album is finally coming out!!!

and finally Queensryche is always always great! and both of the mindcrime albums have some great singer/female singer back and forth! i recommend the live mindcrime album or dvd that came out a couple years ago...

keep up the great work!!

No problem for the Paul Gilbert... You are going to get a lot more Paul in the 60's cover eppy so be ready. That is a fantastic tribute the way you said that your ears are ringing slightly less loudly without her around... fantastic... I need to remember that. I am not going to get to excited about new Danzig... lately it's like getting to excited about a new Manowar... leads to serious disappointment. I have everything Queensryche so no worries there my friend... though I have to disagree with you... I felt Mindcrime II was severely lacking in songsmanship... if you know what I mean. I am stunned that we were wrong and you forgot what you were going to correct us on...hopefully this new episode will provide a solution to that... hint hint. As always Carlos fantastic to hear from you...thank you for listening.
    Michael
    Michael

Post  Michael Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:13 pm

Crimson Pig wrote:A great mix of tunes. Even if I don't love everything I never have a problem listening to the stuff over and over, it always flows quite well. If you would have ended the show after playing Phantom Blue, Dirty Sweet and Murder by Death I would have been happy. All three were awesome.

I'm kind of surprised by some of Wade's recent picks though, not that I don't like them but Murder by Death, Circa Survive, Portugal the Man, and I think a few others from previous shows are stuff my kids listen to. I don't know who is singing on that murder by death song but if that is what they sound like now I'm going to have to drop some money on them. The stuff I've heard by them sounds nothing like that. It is nice to have immediate access to the stuff you play on your show though.

I'm split on the Peter Wolf tune, while I thought it was a great song with great lyrics, Peter Wolf to me is J. Geils and that is a band I've never liked in the least. Although I never had a problem watching the Centerfold video.

Kudos to Allroy for the two great submissions but I hope you weren't serious about pitting me against him musically, I don't stand a chance. You have looked at the Youtube finds link haven't you?

Looking forward to getting back to the 60's next week.

Wow... we could have shortened it by an hour... thanks Chris we will keep that in mind Razz I we stop expanding our horizons to what is new we could miss out on something grand... that is one of the wonderful things that kids do is maybe give us new eyes so we see something for the first time or really notice something that we took for granted. I believe the same thing could be said for our ears. I still feel the lead singer of Murder by Death sounded like Grampa Pickles.... but that is probably just me. Dirty Sweet is so expensive it has prohibited me from acquiring it... after all it does not have Paul Gilbert on it.... does it? I was hesitant about Peter Wolf also... as like you I am sick of most of the J Geils stuff that had him on it and Centerfold, but I really liked that tune... and that was one of the more rocking tunes on the cd... pretty mellow for the most part... the rest I felt were also good...judging from the 30 second clips on Amazon. I was not asking you to compete with Allroy... just suggesting you send in stuff you want pimped or talked about or to have other people hear it... thats all. We have enough contests going on. Anyway Chris as always your opinion matters with us and are so glad that you let us know. Thank you very much for listening... you honor us
    Crimson Pig
    Crimson Pig

Post  Crimson Pig Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:18 am

No need to shorten your show, just trying to express my adoration for those three tunes. I always enjoy the diversity of your picks, even if I don't love everything, I do like everything.

Wade pimping my kids bands was an eye opener, while there are always certain bands we have in common, I haven't paid much attention to the other stuff they listen to. He just showed me that I'm going to have to be a little more diligent now and see what else I can find.

Had to look up Grandpa Pickles on the web cause I had no idea what you were talking about, although I should have. Now that I do though, I completely agree with you. Still loved the tune though, Grandpa pickles and all.
    Michael
    Michael

Post  Michael Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:39 am

Crimson Pig wrote:No need to shorten your show, just trying to express my adoration for those three tunes. I always enjoy the diversity of your picks, even if I don't love everything, I do like everything.

Wade pimping my kids bands was an eye opener, while there are always certain bands we have in common, I haven't paid much attention to the other stuff they listen to. He just showed me that I'm going to have to be a little more diligent now and see what else I can find.

Had to look up Grandpa Pickles on the web cause I had no idea what you were talking about, although I should have. Now that I do though, I completely agree with you. Still loved the tune though, Grandpa pickles and all.

I knew what you were talking about I was just messin' with ya... cuz that's what a good podcast host does... maybe. I am surprised that you did not get the Grampa Pickles reference... I am gathering that your kids are older than Wade's or mine. Anyway Chris... awesome as always and diversity makes everything more unique affraid or as a wise man once said their is no bad music... just music you do not like afro
    dbm
    dbm

Post  dbm Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:34 pm

Crapsack! I'm only 45 min in but damn! I've liked almost every song so far!

7 Seconds? A classic! They're one of the godfathers of hardcore punk. Kevin Seconds has also done some acoustic stuff -- he even has a split with the Skiba guy you like. He also had a band called Drop Acid for a while, which was like trippy 7 Seconds, and was awesome.

That AFI song was the first by them I've heard that I actually like. Guess I need to check out their early stuff more.

I dug the Paul Gilbert song -- it actually reminded me of the theme song to the awesome TV show Corner Gas

And that Nick 13 song was great too.

Now on to the rest!
    Michael
    Michael

Post  Michael Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:06 pm

dbm wrote:Crapsack! I'm only 45 min in but damn! I've liked almost every song so far!

7 Seconds? A classic! They're one of the godfathers of hardcore punk. Kevin Seconds has also done some acoustic stuff -- he even has a split with the Skiba guy you like. He also had a band called Drop Acid for a while, which was like trippy 7 Seconds, and was awesome.

That AFI song was the first by them I've heard that I actually like. Guess I need to check out their early stuff more.

I dug the Paul Gilbert song -- it actually reminded me of the theme song to the awesome TV show Corner Gas

And that Nick 13 song was great too.

Now on to the rest!

We are sorry Bill.... Not Evil or Very Mad I enjoy the early AFI stuff more than the newer stuff. I am sure that Wade will be spending more money because he is a huge fan of Matt Skiba so I am thinking that it will become part of his collection soon... you are a mean man Bill Twisted Evil

I have to agree that their is a similarity between that theme song and Amy... that is one of the many things I love about Paul Gilbert is that no song is the same... every song he writes has an amazing pop sensibility and his sense of humor... check out his website for a chuckle or three. Eventually I will wear you all down and you will becomne mindless thralls to the will and music of Paul Gilbert mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha
    ccordova2
    ccordova2

Post  ccordova2 Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:03 pm

Michael wrote:
    ccordova2 wrote:great episode! thank you for the love! i had some correction for you guys but dont remember now lol

keep up the great work!!

No problem for the Paul Gilbert... You are going to get a lot more Paul in the 60's cover eppy so be ready. That is a fantastic tribute the way you said that your ears are ringing slightly less loudly without her around... fantastic... I need to remember that. I am not going to get to excited about new Danzig... lately it's like getting to excited about a new Manowar... leads to serious disappointment. I have everything Queensryche so no worries there my friend... though I have to disagree with you... I felt Mindcrime II was severely lacking in songsmanship... if you know what I mean. I am stunned that we were wrong and you forgot what you were going to correct us on...hopefully this new episode will provide a solution to that... hint hint. As always Carlos fantastic to hear from you...thank you for listening.

i remembered!!!! haha! i didnt tattoo my own arm, thats being done by a good local artist! im good my friend just not that good Razz

im also really liking the paul gilbert Hendrix cover album & if i woulda snapped yesterday when you asked me i woulda recommened Red House..
    Michael
    Michael

Post  Michael Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:32 pm

ccordova2 wrote:
    Michael wrote:

keep up the great work!!

i remembered!!!! haha! i didnt tattoo my own arm, thats being done by a good local artist! im good my friend just not that good Razz

im also really liking the paul gilbert Hendrix cover album & if i woulda snapped yesterday when you asked me i woulda recommened Red House..

Well actually listen to eppy 57 and you sort of get your wish... almost

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:41 am